Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF), in partnership with the Ministry of Municipality and Environment (MME), has launched the third cycle of the joint call on Food Security Call.
The key objective of this call is focused on high TRL applied research aiming at;
- Enhance Food Security measures in Qatar through investing in applied research in the main pillars of the State of Qatar’s National Food Security Strategy.
- Harness local and external expertise and knowledge in Food Security related science and technology to develop solutions for the local Qatari conditions.
Each award is up to US$ 200,000 per year and up to three years with total budget up to US$ 500,000.
Responsiveness to Challenges
The Research priority areas for this call are;
Assessment of the local food supply chain and providing practical solutions to the problems faced.
- Innovative practices for the production of strategic crops, and the mitigation and control of pests and diseases
Sustainable fisheries and aquaculture
- The development of highly productive, healthy
farm animals and combatting epidemics and diseases
Through this call, the QNRF and MME intend to stimulate partnerships between academics and research end-users and aim to focus on meritorious applied research projects that demonstrate a potential impact on the development of Qatar’s society and economy in the field of Food Security. The emphasis is on:
- tackling the objectives of the Food Security Strategy of Qatar
- supporting applied projects with tangible impacts
- focusing on projects that hold high TRL and strong commercial potential
- promoting a public-private partnership culture in Qatar